Do you consider negotiation to be an art? You could be the artist we need at Duco!
We are looking for a talented Legal Counsel to join our dynamic, high-performing legal team in a fast-paced, client-facing environment. You'll have the opportunity to apply and develop negotiation skills and drafting experience with some of the world’s top-tier financial institutions, working collaboratively with commercial stakeholders on global deals.
But why work for Duco?
As a 100% SaaS (software as a service) company, our customers’ success is at the heart of what we do. We take great pride in seeing how the partnership we build with each customer makes a real difference to them. Our unique software makes their lives better by helping them solve their most complex data problems.
We take the same approach with our own employees. We love seeing people succeed and grow in their roles, enjoying what they do and getting great results. This philosophy is embedded in our culture.
Here's what Duco can offer you...
A growing company with a bright future:
Our customers already include many of the world’s top financial institutions, and our global revenues grew at an impressive rate in the last financial year. We’re also backed by some of the best software investors.
An employer which puts its people first:
We give every employee a voice in what Duco does and how it gets done. We communicate honestly and openly, whether the news is good or bad, and we give trust and support rather than micromanaging. We believe that everyone should feel really proud of what they do and have the opportunity to learn and develop in their careers.
Day to day, you’ll be:
- Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts with our customers and partners including top-tier banks, hedge funds, insurers, and systems integrators
- Managing the Company Secretariat needs and requirements across the global group
- Managing Duco’s global IP portfolio
- Managing insurance requirements for all group companies
- Providing advice on data protection and compliance issues to the business
- Supporting the team on governance related matters
- Acting as a business partner to help structure and provide legal advice to all parts of the company
- Managing relationships with external counsel
- Creating and improving legal processes, such as maintaining templates and harnessing legal tech tools to drive efficiencies
We offer a great compensation package of:
- A competitive base salary, which will be reviewed annually, in line with your level of experience and local market standard
- An annual success-sharing bonus scheme, so we recognize your efforts
- Medical insurance with 100% employer-paid option, HSA (with employer contribution) or FSA, as well as vision and dental insurance with generous employer contribution
- 401k with 4% match and immediate vesting
- Unlimited PTO, because we trust our people to manage their own time off
- Flexible working options. Everyone has to juggle home and work stuff sometimes!
- Enhanced family leave provisions e.g. 52 weeks maternity leave of which 39 is paid (yes, really!) and six weeks paid paternity leave
- Annual allowance to help you make improvements to your home working environment
- Dedicated budget for personal learning and development opportunities
- Spot rewards, so we can say thanks when you do a really great bit of work
- Referral bonuses to encourage everyone to recommend great talent
- Employee Assistance Program, in case things get tough
- An Employee Equity Purchase Scheme, so you have a personal investment in the success of the company
Flexibility on location
Your contractual place of work will be our Boston office. We support a hybrid working model, whereby you can combine working from home and working at the Boston office.
This is what you’ll need to be successful:
- Solicitor qualified in New York, or Boston, with around 2-4 years of post-qualification experience either at a private practice firm or in-house, with a current valid practicing certificate
- Confidence in client-facing negotiations of commercial contracts in the technology space
- Passion to problem-solve with stakeholders in a fast-paced commercial environment within an in-demand Legal team
- Strong academic qualifications
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including being able to quickly gain credibility and respect from stakeholders
- Adept at objection handling and managing negotiations
- Exceptional organisational skills, with a high level of attention to detail, as a well as being able to effectively prioritise competing matters
- Possessing emotional intelligence to assess situations and confidence to use initiative
- Able to produce innovative and motivated solutions, taking ownership of problems when they arise
- Proactive, flexible approach and can-do attitude
Not essential, but bonus points if you have any experience in these:
- Company secretariat, including the management of constitutional documents and statutory books and ongoing filing requirements
- Employment, data protection, and/or intellectual property law
- Working proficiency in a foreign language
But remember - no one is expected to be perfect!
If you aren’t sure that you have every single trait we’ve listed, please don’t let it put you off applying. We review all applications with real interest, and we believe in supporting people’s personal development and career growth. We’re not necessarily looking for ‘the perfect candidate’ with years of experience, gold medals and superpowers!
And a final note about our hiring process:
Our hiring process is usually three-four stages, including an initial conversation, a technical test, and one or two final-stage interviews.