Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2023
We are Not On The High Street
We believe the big things should be celebrated – hard. Milestone birthdays, mates getting hitched, new pads… But we also love making a big deal about the small things, too.
We’re home to 5,000+ phenomenal small creative businesses that we are proud to call our Partners. So we’re doing all we can to shine a light on these dynamic entrepreneurs, waving the flag for small businesses and generally championing their socks off.
On top of our brilliant Partners, products, and customers (not to mention our incredible team), we have seen some really amazing recent changes, we’ve rebranded (check out the new site and app) have a whole host of new products as well as that, Leanne Rothwell, NOTHS for 10 years deservedly and was honoured to take over as CEO to drive the next era at NOTHS.
We are now looking to build on this momentum to drive our business to the next level. And that’s where you come in.
We’re a team of 150 or so who all thrive in roles that make an impact and a difference and we are looking for like-minded people.
You’re laser-focused when it comes to the task at hand. You’re not afraid to make big decisions and take some risks. You have a positive attitude to learn if things don’t go to plan and re-iterate to get your idea working. You’re a team player willing to lift others up and collaborate.
If this applies to you then we are the right fit for you, our perks and benefits are at the bottom of the description but if you want to know more about the role itself read on.
At NOTHS our engineering teams are organised into cross-functional squads focussed around an area or domain of our online store or partner platform. Comprising of Associate, Midweight and Senior engineers across different disciplines, our engineering teams need flexible technical and people leadership from their Engineering Manager (EM). Working alongside Agile Delivery Managers, Product Managers and other business stakeholders, the EM plays the role of ‘internal’ owner of their domain and how their team performs in the process and living Agile values.
- Oversee one or more cross-functional engineering teams to deliver great software for our customers and partners
- Directly line manage up to 7 engineers of varying seniority operating as a single cross-functional team in our Agile process
- Coach and/or mentor engineers in your team, understanding their personal development needs and the needs of the business in order to progress their careers at NOTHS
- Provide technical leadership where appropriate and ultimately act as the point of decision acting in the business's and your team's best interests.
- Make sure that services and iterations are operationally ready and provide active support for high-priority and complex production issues
- Alongside the Product Manager, monitor and manage technical debt, articulating necessary remedial work in a way that it can be prioritised against business-facing features
- Help to shape the overall architecture and Tech strategy and make sure the teams understand it and that technical solutions confirm our architectural strategy
- Help to build and make sure the team has and follows good QA practices and takes full accountability for their testing including functional, performance, load and security testing
- Working alongside the security team, help to build and implement secure-by-design principles as well as good security coding practices
- Operate with a product development mindset and work closely with Product Managers, Product designers and your team to design and deliver value to customers and partners early.
- Help to drive the team to do the best possible job and strive for continuous improvement in productivity. Working with others keeps the team inspired and motivated with a focus on delivering maximum value through the best available tech
- Hold themselves and others accountable for upholding NOTHS values
- A deep understanding of clean development principles and architecture
- Experience deploying application stacks to AWS or other cloud environments
- An understanding of distributed asynchronous architectures
- A solid understanding of CI/CD
- You are interested in being a hands-on technical contributor, with the understanding that the most important features will probably be delivered by other engineers
- Worked on a team that was fully invested in cloud-native applications
- An eagerness to work alongside product teams to find a healthy balance between tech and feature-driven priorities
- You have previous experience leading a technical team and developing/supporting Junior, Midweight and Senior engineers
- You are keen to work at a more strategic planning level to prioritise important technical work against product work
It’s important to us that our people are well looked after, which is why we offer BUPA healthcare, Healthshield, life insurance and additional Mental health support through Spill
We have also worked very hard to come up with a set of policies that support work/life balance, flexible working, diversity and inclusion that help to reduce the stress of life.
We offer 25 days standard with 8 days bank holidays and the ability to swap other religious holidays
We hold regular socials and events as well as holding hackathons and encourage the attendance of conferences and other events
We endeavour to support our people to make sure work... well, works for them. To that end, the NOTHS team visit beautiful Richmond once a month to ensure we all still get together as one #teamNOTHS (although you can come in more if you like)
For 2022 we began trialling fully remote months in January (to avoid the snow) and August (to enjoy the sun).
Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity and Inclusion is really important to us and that’s why everyone’s welcome at Not On The High Street – whoever they are, whatever their background.
As part of your application, you’ll be asked to complete an optional demographic survey to help us learn more about who wants to work with us and will only be used to help us figure out how to make our team(s) even more inclusive and attract more brilliant people to join us!
We have a DEI focus group as well as affinity groups that have their own budgets and can use this to help serve diversity and inclusion at NOTHS
Apply to join #teamNOTHS
Our recruitment processes are fully remote, taking advantage of the wonders of modern-day technology.
You’ll speak with one of the recruitment team first (30 minutes) who will help you understand the role and company even better, you’ll then speak with the line manager (30 minutes), a technical interview (90 minutes), and a Final interview (60 minutes). You can find out more details in your first call with the recruitment team
We’d love to hear more about you, your experience and why you want to join our team.
See more open positions at notonthehighstreet
Something looks off?