Graph ML Research Scientist
Owkin exists to find the right treatment for every patient. Our focus is to use artificial intelligence to discover and develop better treatments for unmet medical needs, starting with the fight against cancer.
In November, Owkin became a 'unicorn' - a startup worth more than $1 billion - through a $180 million investment from pharmaceutical company Sanofi. As a result, we are now looking for the brightest and best talent to help us to go even further in achieving our mission.
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About the role:
As a Graph Research Scientist at Owkin, you will advance medical research using state-of-the-art graph-based machine learning models. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing graph-based machine learning algorithms to analyse complex biological phenomena and identify promising hypotheses aiding understanding of disease mechanisms and informing drug development.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of graph-based machine learning techniques and their application to drug and target discovery.
- Develop and apply graph-based machine learning models to analyze large and complex biological datasets related to drug and target discovery
- Develop and implement innovative GraphML algorithms to handle multi-modal data for target identification, drug repositioning and prediction of drug combination therapy
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams of biologists, chemists, and data scientists to design follow-up experiments and analyze data
- Stay up to date with the latest advances in GraphML and geometric deep learning and drug discovery research
- Communicate results and findings to the team and stakeholders in a clear and concise manner
Who we are looking for:
The successful candidate will have a ‘team-first’ kind of attitude; be independent, curious and detail-attentive; thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment; and be fun to work with.
- Passionate about the intersections of healthcare and AI
- PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Computational Biology, or a related field with a strong focus on GraphML and geometric deep learning
- Demonstrated practical experience, such as industry or postdoc, in applying GraphML to biomedical problems
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (PyTorch, Tensorflow, JAX, etc.)
- Proficiency in programming languages, such as Python, Julia, R, C++, etc
- Familiarity with chemical and biological concepts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized and meticulous about details; capable of tackling complex problems logically and effectively; fun to work with; honest; excited to work hard in a dynamic, fast-paced environment;
Ways to stand out:
The following are not necessarily required, but would be a plus:
- Experience with drug discovery and target identification
- Experience in building large-scale biomedical graphs
- Familiarity with graph databases and graph theory
- Experience with cloud-based computing platforms and distributed computing
- Experience in other areas of machine learning/deep learning such as NLP, active learning and recommender system
- Familiarity with key biomedical databases and resources
- Strong publication record in graph machine learning and geometric deep learning (conferences such as ACM, NeurIPS, KDD, etc)
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- contact the following authorities:
- Contract Type:Full-Time
- Education Level:PhD and more
- Possible full remote
Sounds like something made for you?
Something looks off?