Director, Strategy & Operations (Medical)
Owkin exists to find the right treatment for every patient. Our focus is to use artificial intelligence to discover and develop better treatments for unmet medical needs, starting with the fight against cancer.
In November, Owkin became a 'unicorn' - a startup worth more than $1 billion - through a $180 million investment from pharmaceutical company Sanofi. As a result, we are now looking for the brightest and best talent to help us to go even further in achieving our mission.
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About the role:
MissionYou will be at the heart of Owkin’s ambition to become an AI Biotech, working with the Medical department to deliver biomedical impact. You will lead medical strategy & operations topics to ensure the team’s focus remains aligned with company objectives. This role is an ideal opportunity for a highly-motivated, organized and analytical individual with a strong interest in helping scale a biotech company.
ReportingThis role reports to the Chief Operating Officer. The Director/VP is embedded in the Medical team as the business partner for strategic planning and operations. As such, the candidate will work closely with and act as a deputy to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO). Collaborating closely with colleagues cross-functionally is a critical attribute of this position.
In particular, you will:
- Drive efforts to scale biomedical impact, and hence the company
- Monitor and improve the Medical and discovery roadmaps. Oversee definition and monitoring of OKRs (Objectives & Key Results), dashboards and risk registers to spot deviations from plan and problem-solve. Ensure alignment with other departments at Owkin.- Liaise with Corporate Development and represent the CMO in related work streams such as due diligences and evaluation of potential corporate partners- Perform market research and analyze competitive landscape to complement medical view in prioritizing indications and project portfolio management
- Drive strategic analyses and recommendations on opportunities that need prioritization (including operational follow-up) in particular:
- Foster a culture of operational excellence through the development of processes and tools related to resource use, project scoping and reporting, as well as any other transversal activity- Create standards and processes to optimize workflows between R&D, Corporate Development and Biomedical operations- Liaise with the People, Finance and Marketing teams, acting as the interface for organizational and communications matters pertaining to the Medical department
- Ensure fluid communication between teams at company level.
Position is based in our Paris office or remote.
Required qualifications / experience:
- Scientific/Medical (PhD required)
- + Business/Strategy (consulting or significant experience in Biotech scale-up)
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in working cross-functionally
- Significant biotech and pharma network
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- contact the following authorities:
- Contract Type:Full-Time
- Education Level:PhD and more
- Possible full remote
Sounds like something made for you?
Something looks off?