Data Curation Engineer
Owkin exists to find the right treatment for every patient. Our focus is to use artificial intelligence to discover and develop better treatments for unmet medical needs, starting with the fight against cancer.
In November, Owkin became a 'unicorn' - a startup worth more than $1 billion - through a $180 million investment from pharmaceutical company Sanofi. As a result, we are now looking for the brightest and best talent to help us to go even further in achieving our mission.
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About the role:
You will be part of the Data Ops team and report to the Head of Data Operations.
You will be involved in the efforts of the company related to extraction/generation, curation and alignment of raw medical data. You will work with the team whose role spans from finding the raw data in our data partners information systems to providing a fit-for-AI dataset which then can be used by data scientists. This involves many steps such as extraction, cleaning, curation, imputation, pseudonymisation, jointure of different datasets (e.g. histology slides with patient tabular information), harmonization.
Owkin has a particular focus on histology and genomics data (always complemented with patient Electronic Medical Records) but also many other modalities as our projects span various therapeutic areas and medical expertise.
Main mission will be:
- Establish harmonized practices for data management, specifically to manage data quality and delivery for internal and external projects, with the assistance of external experts when required
- Coordinate internal and external data throughout the whole life cycle (governance, curation, processing)
In particular, you will:
- Actively perform data curation activities on multimodal datasets
- Develop metadata scheme to support the different projects
- Evaluate and implement the structure and content of different standardization tools such as Common Data Models or standard terminologies
- Promote data quality by searching and properly evaluating sources of information to determine possible limitations in reliability or usability, apply sampling techniques to effectively determine and define ideal categories to be questioned
- Compare and analyze statistical information to identify patterns, relationships and problems
- Prepare detailed report summarizing data curation activity
- Possibility to design or contribute to computer code using various languages to improve and update software and applications
The responsibilities missions described are not an exhaustive list; additional tasks may be assigned or the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.
Position is based in our Paris or Nantes offices or remotely in France.
Required qualifications / experience:
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science or related field
- Previous significant experience on Data Management in Healthcare is mandatory
- Strong expertise on dataset (among omics, histology, imaging)
- Technical skills: Python, SQL
- Fluent in English
- Good math and analytical skills are essential to complete job requirements successfully
- Experiences with FAIR principles, data governance, Common Data Models (CDMs)
- Knowledge of healthcare Information System, main techniques and softwares
- Ability to complete milestones and work toward multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Excellent multitasking skills and task management strategies
- Interpersonal and customer service skills are required when meeting potential partners
- Ability to use necessary databases and software
- Experience working with private and sensitive personal information
- Good team player
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- contact the following authorities:
- Contract Type:Full-Time
- Possible full remote
Sounds like something made for you?
Something looks off?