Engineering Manager - Banking
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Spendesk’s SFS engineering team is focussed on creating and operating our banking infrastructure and systems. It’s currently composed of a number of cross-functional squads working on different steps of the banking journey.
As the Engineering Manager, reporting to the Engineering Director, your’ll be responsible for 4 key missions:
The first one is to guide, coach and grow the engineers and Engineering leads in the team. Spendesk’s culture is heavily focused on individual growth and you’ll be actively coaching your team to develop their own skills and career.
The second one will be to drive the delivery strategy for your team and influence the same for SFS.
The third one is to ensure operationally, the engineering systems of your team is secure, performant and resilient.
The fourth one is to build and continuously adapt a high-performing team. We are on a growth path, and we need to keep our fast pace and strong collaboration between squads and the different functions.
- Ensure our platform is operationally resilient, secure and performant.
- Collaborate with product & engineering leaders, influence the product roadmap and provide a technical perspective on the team’s commitments.
- Build a culture of high-performance and continuous improvement.
- Be accountable for the technical roadmap of your team.
- Be accountable for the growth of individuals in your team.
- Ensure the well being of the team.
Who we are looking for:
- Fluent in written and spoken English - it is our business language
- At least 5 years of experience in development (no requirement on the language).
- 2-3 years of experience as an Engineering Manager for groups of 7-10 people. Ideally you have some experience of managing engineers through leads.
- Previous track record of good collaboration with product managers and external stakeholders.
- Autonomy, fast learning and proactiveness.
- Experience in fintech is a plus but not mandatory.
- Engineering school or not feel free to apply we won't ask you for your diploma but for real world experience.
- We don’t chose technology because they are shiny but because they solve a problem.
- Our app is a composed of 6 services in Nodejs for the backend, hosted on kubernetes. Each of them has it's own RDS Postgres (AWS) database and they communicate together via REST API or via managed Kafka that is used as en event bus. The monitoring and logging is done on Datadog, and the frontend of the back office is in React.
The culture of the team
- Start with Why? We are looking for analytical people who can understand and solve complex problems, challenge priority and make decisions based on data.
- Solve for the customer. We are a customer-centric company not a tech centric company. You will work with a dedicated product manager, a designer and the support team to provide a first in class user experience and build the best banking app for businesses. As a lead, your team is also your customer, making sure developers are autonomous and productive is part of your responsibility.
- Insist on the highest standards. You will develop on a 1-year recent code that encapsulates best practices like DDD, Micro-services, Kafka. You will ensure the quality of the code that is released into production. Give the direction of metrics and monitoring.
- Be bold. In our fast-paced environment, every decision you'll make will have a huge impact. You will setup goals for the team and keep track of them. You won't hesitate to take risks and try to make the organisation better.
- Team player. There are already 9 developers in the banking team. As we grow, you'll become a key member of the team, help more junior people to grow and become a trusted Spendesker.
As we are an international team, please submit your application and CV in English.
Spendesk is the 7-in-1 spending solution built for finance teams to make faster, smarter spending decisions. Founded in 2016, Spendesk is now one of the fastest-growing fintechs in Europe, with over 4,000 customers and an international team of 500+ employees based in Paris, Berlin, London, Hamburg, and remote. We’ve raised over €260M from leading investors, and been named a French tech unicorn. And we’re not stopping there!
About our people & culture
We believe that people do their best work when they’re given the freedom to thrive and grow. That’s why liberation is at the core of everything we do. We empower Spendeskers to take ownership of their work, to navigate ambiguity, and seize every opportunity. Spendeskers come from all over the world (35+ countries and counting!) but we have plenty in common: we're bold, ever-curious, committed to kindness, and tackle every challenge with a positive mindset.
About our benefits
Our culture is built on trust, empowerment, and growth — with benefits to match!
-Fully covered Oyster card for traveling to and from our new office (up to £250 monthly depending on location)
-£45 monthly wellness allowance, accruable, to be used on whatever wellness means to you - through the Ben platform
- Access to Moka.care for emotional and mental health wellbeing
- Pension scheme (on salary sacrifice): 5% employee / 5% employer (by Aviva)
- 28 days of holidays
- Latest Apple Mac equipment
- Company virtual events
- Visit our other offices: Paris, Berlin & Hamburg
- Great office snacks to fuel your day
- A positive team to work with daily!
- Vitality private health insurance (for you and your family/partner)
- Bupa private dental care
Diversity & Inclusion
At Spendesk, we're committed to fostering an environment where all differences are encouraged, supported and celebrated. We're building our culture for everyone, with everyone. Our goal is to attract and build a diverse, equal and inclusive team, where everyone feels welcome and we truly embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
See more open positions at Spendesk
Something looks off?