Chief Compliance Officer
Posted on Friday, January 5, 2024
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Chief Compliance and Internal Control to lead our Compliance function and drive the development and implementation of effective control frameworks within Spendesk Financial Services (SFS).
- As a key member of the executive team, the successful candidate will play a crucial role in ensuring that the company's operations align with regulatory requirements and ethical standards.
- Reporting to SFS senior management and the board of directors on compliance issues, internal control, regulatory developments, and the effectiveness of the AML/KYC programme. Advising senior management with the compliance implications of certain business decisions; taking a leading role in strategic decision making.
This is a unique opportunity to join a « FinTech » company in Paris (France). Having enjoyed much success in France, Germany and the UK, we are now planning a new phase of our European expansion starting in Spain.
This is a great opportunity to build a function and culture from the ground up withinan international and highly skilled team !
- Leadership and Management:
- Lead and manage the Regulatory and Compliance Advisory function, providing accurate and timely compliance advice across all products and services.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Compliance Advisory function to ensure seamless support to relevant business areas.
- Build a robust European compliance and internal control framework and function, with support from the UK MLRO for the UK Market
- Be the onsite person responsible in Paris for compliance and advise on related compliance matters
- Collaborate with the Spendesk Financial Services senior management and business to create tools and processes
- Build and develop your team (France, UK) Create a strong compliance culture for both the business and customers
- Control Frameworks and Business Support:
- Collaborate with business units to design and implement an effective control framework.
- Provide support for business development and product governance initiatives.
- Risk Management Framework: Ensure risk management policies and initiatives align with regulations and organisational objectives.
- Risk Committee Oversight: Interpret risk reporting and monitoring results, presenting findings to the risk committee and recommending actions.
- Compliance and Risk Programme Oversight: Oversee the Compliance and Risk Programme, including AML, Sanctions, Fraud, Anti-Bribery, and Corruption.
- Compliance Program:
- Develop, implement, and consistently enhance the organisation's compliance program to ensure it aligns with evolving regulatory landscapes.
- Foster a culture of compliance across all areas of the organisation, instilling a proactive approach.
- Through continuous improvement initiatives, aim to establish a robust framework that not only meets compliance standards but also proactively identifies and addresses potential areas for enhancement.
- Horizon Scanning:
- Supervise horizon scanning activities to guarantee the prompt and transparent dissemination of pertinent information to the organisation.
- Take responsibility for ensuring the preparedness of the compliance function, managing resources, and effectively communicating with all business units that may be impacted.
- Regulatory Engagement: Serve as the main point of contact with regulators. Identify and assess potential compliance risks across the organisation.
- Monitoring and Auditing (Internal control): Establish monitoring and auditing processes to detect and prevent compliance violations.
- Reporting :Prepare and present regular compliance reports to the executive team and Board of Directors.
- Legal and Regulatory Awareness:Stay informed about changes in laws and regulations affecting the company's operations.
- Data Analysis: Analyse, review, and act upon data and Management Information (MI) representing Key Risk Indicators within the business and industry.
Who we are looking for:
- Significant experience (+8 years) in compliance in a financial institution, ideally in a Fintech or another fast-paced work environment (Payments Industry).
- Successful candidates must possess the qualifications and eligibility criteria necessary for prompt approval upon joining the organisation.
- Excellent knowledge of regulations applicable to the payment institutions and in particular the regulatory framework in France (ACPR) : Monetary and Financial Code, PSD2, DME2, ACPR guidelines, AML/CFT directives, GDPR, etc.
- Knowledge of another EU or UK regulation is a plus.
- Experience of dealing with the regulator and regulator requests In-depth
- knowledge of regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- Strong leadership and team management skills.
- You possess the mindset of a “problem solver,” maintaining a positive and can-do attitude towards challenges and obstacles.
- Relevant professional certifications (e.g., ACAMS, ICA) preferred. Holder of a Master’s degree (Bac + 5) in Law/Audit and/or Banking/Finance (Regulatory and Compliance)
- Strong knowledge of EU/French financial regulations, payment services laws, and relevant compliance frameworks.
- Excellent knowledge of regulations applicable to the banking sector and in particular the regulatory framework in France (ACPR) : PSD2, Monetary and Financial Code, French Decree of November 3rd, 2014, GDPR,, ACPR and EBA guidelines, AML/CFT directives, etc.
- Strong proposal and argumentation skills.
- Fluent in French and English
As we are an international team, please submit your application and CV in English.
Spendesk is the 7-in-1 spending solution built for finance teams to make faster, smarter spending decisions. Founded in 2016, Spendesk is now one of the fastest-growing fintechs in Europe, with over 4,000 customers and an international team of 500+ employees based in Paris, Berlin, London, Hamburg, and remote. We’ve raised over €260M from leading investors, and been named a French tech unicorn. And we’re not stopping there!
About our people & culture
We believe that people do their best work when they’re given the freedom to thrive and grow. That’s why liberation is at the core of everything we do. We empower Spendeskers to take ownership of their work, to navigate ambiguity, and seize every opportunity. Spendeskers come from all over the world (35+ countries and counting!) but we have plenty in common: we're bold, ever-curious, committed to kindness, and tackle every challenge with a positive mindset.
About our benefits
Our culture is built on trust, empowerment, and growth — with benefits to match!
- Lunch 60% funded by Spendesk (Swile Card)
- 9 RTT in 2024 on a pro-rata basis, in addition to your 25 paid holiday days (for Permanent and Fixed term employees only)
- Alan Premium health insurance
- A Gymlib pass to let off steam after a productive day at work
- Access to Moka.care for emotional and mental health wellbeing
- Access to Vendredi allowing us to change the world
- Latest Apple equipment
- Great office snacks to fuel your day
- A positive team to work with daily!
Diversity & Inclusion
At Spendesk, we're committed to fostering an environment where all differences are encouraged, supported and celebrated. We're building our culture for everyone, with everyone. Our goal is to attract and build a diverse, equal and inclusive team, where everyone feels welcome and we truly embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.