Staff Engineer (Trading, Modern JVM)
We are looking for a Staff Engineer for our Trading Squad that is building the core trading platform that manages our customers’ portfolios and investments, and integrates with various banks, brokers, and fund managers. This system handles many millions of dollars on a daily basis and as such must be designed to be extremely fault tolerant, highly scalable, and consistent.
The squad oversees a diverse set of services that are designed using modern distributed system approaches. We utilise a mix of message queues and databases for piping and storage of events, we process business logic in a central workflow engine, and write efficient microservices to process and query data.
We are currently rewriting a large portion of our trading system and as such you will be deeply involved in the design of a platform that will be able to power StashAway's massive growth over the years to come and support existing and new investment products alike. The platform is being written for the most part in Kotlin as a primary backend language.
- Work on our backend trading platform to build functionality that enables new investment products and features using Kotlin, Micronaut, Go, Temporal, and other related technologies.
- Drive core migration work to modernise and optimise older parts of the system. Design & implement solutions that can run high workloads in a rapidly-scaling environment.
- Write testable, clean, efficient code that can be confidently released in production.
- Work in a collaborative, agile environment alongside engineers, product managers, and other cross-functional stakeholders.
- A minimum of 5 years work experience as a software engineer
- Out of those, a minimum of 3 years of experience with a major JVM language such as Kotlin, Scala, or Java
- Experience working on distributed systems and platforms that scale
- Familiar with agile processes, testing and continuous integration
- Strong background in data structures and algorithms
- Eager and willing to learn new things, staying up to date with the latest technologies, and expanding your base skill sets to propose new approaches to your work
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision
Employee financial and physical well-being
- Compensation package: You will receive a competitive total compensation package that includes employee stock options if you are a full-time employee.
- Comprehensive insurance coverage: Free panel outpatient GP clinic visits, group hospitalisation and surgical insurance, and Covid hospitalisation insurance coverage (conditions apply).
- Management fee discount: You will receive an employee discount on your asset management fees when you invest with StashAway.
Flexible work arrangements and policies
- Work-from-home policy: You may choose to work from home or the office depending on what works best for you and your team.
- Work-from-anywhere policy: You may request to work remotely for up to eight weeks in another country.
- Unlimited paid annual leave: It should be simple for you to decide if you would like to take more or fewer days off. We trust that you are accountable for your work and know best if you need 10 or 30 days of paid annual leave that year.
- Personal work equipment budget: It’s important that you have a workstation that’s optimal for you wherever you are.
Learning and development opportunities
- You will be given an annual Learning and Development budget to help you continuously learn in your pursuit of your professional and personal development. You may use the budget for resources and tools that may help you perform better at work. This budget is subject to C-Suite approval.
- LinkedIn Learning: You will be given access to LinkedIn Learning and its full catalog of courses.
- Discount on selected postgraduate courses with INTI: You will receive a 40% discount for the courses you enroll in. Your spouse or children are entitled to a 16% discount for courses they enroll in.
Team bonding budget and initiatives
- Quarterly team bonding budget: We encourage you to socialise with colleagues across job functions, departments, and entities to know them better as individuals beyond what they professionally do.
- Annual off-sites (Oct): Each off-site gathers all employees for a full day of company-wide team bonding activities and challenges.